This garden is maintained by the John Ray Trust and refurbished in 2009, assisted by a bequest from the Late Sir John Ruggles-Brise, a Patron of the Trust and a grant from Trinity College Cambridge. The refurbishment was undertaken by Cameron Landscapes
Paul King of King and Co, The Tree Nursery generously donated the tree in the middle of the square. Langthorns Plantery supplied the plants in the four oak planters.
John Ray (1627-1705) was born in Black Notley, the most eminent British Natural Scientist of the 17th century. He was a renowned Tutor at Cambridge University and travelled extensively throughout this country and Europe observing and studying the natural world. His studies and publications also included birds, fishes, animals, reptiles and insects.
Ray believed we all have a duty to conserve the environment:‘The earth belongs to God. He has entrusted it to us…He will hold us responsible for our discharge of this trust.’
The garden was opened in 1986 by Dr David Bellamy to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the publication of John Ray’s Historia Plantarum (History of Plants). Written in Latin and contained in 3 volumes it described plants known to the 17th century world.